With the warm weather approaching and longer dog walks on the cards, it is likely that your pooch will need a bath more often than the rest of the year.
Some dogs love the water, splashing around and attempting to swim in the bath, whereas others are more wary. We have put together some helpful tips on how to make bath time easier and more fun for both of you, along with some advice on how to make sure your dog is wonderfully clean and fragrant at the end!
What is the best way to bathe a dog?
If your pooch is quite small then a kitchen sink is a safe place to bath them, otherwise your own bath tub or a separate dog bath that can be used outside.
How often should dogs be bathed?
- There is no set rule on how often you should bathe your dog, but at least once every 3 months is advised. It is likely that your dog will need bathing more than this if they like to jump in muddy puddles or swim in salty sea water, in which case once a week is standard.
- Remember that over washing your dog can lead to dry skin and also remove natural oils in the fur.
How can I keep my dog calm in the bath?
- Start by playing some games together outside of the bathroom, so that they have released some energy and know that you are going to be spending some time together.
- Choose a water resistant toy that they can play with inside the bath and get them to watch as you put it in.
- Ensure that the water is not too hot as this will make them panic.
- Use a non-slip mat inside the bath so that they are steady on their feet.
- Have everything you need nearby so that you don’t have to leave them alone.
- Start with a small amount of time and build on it.
- Treats are always advisable as a bribe to stay calm!
How can I make my dog's bath more enjoyable?
- Praise them constantly so they know you are happy with them.
- Use a bathing tool that will spray water and massage them at the same time.
- Take a slow feeder mat into the bath and cover it with peanut butter, it will take their attention away from the water!
- Give them something to look forward to by playing afterwards.
What are the steps for bathing a dog?
- Brush your dog before the bath to remove any tangles
- Start with lukewarm water to dampen your dogs fur
- Use a dog friendly shampoo to create a lather
- Rinse carefully with clean lukewarm water, avoiding the eyes and face
- Towel dry as much as you can and then let your dog air dry
- Reward your dog for being so well behaved!